Peggi's Bread & Butter Pickles
Peggi Anne Tebben
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- about 12 long cucumbers, sliced about 1/8" thick
- 2 small onions, cut in rings, then sliced in half
- 1 green bell pepper, cut in rings, then sliced in half
- 1 red bell pepper, cut in rings, then sliced in half
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut in rings, then sliced in half,
- note* i just bought one of those bags of small bell peppers & used most of them
- 9 t. canning salt
- 4 c. white vinegar
- 5 c. sugar
- 2 t. celery seeds
- 2 t. mustard seeds
PICKLING SOLUTION: BRING JUST TO A BOIL, THEN COOL COMPLETELY.
1Place cucumbers, peppers & onions in large bowl that isn't aluminum.
2Cover with salt & stir well.
3Put enough ice water on this just to cover, but not to where it is packed tight.
4Place plate on top of this to keep the veggies under the water.
5Let set on counter for 4 hours.
6While waiting, make solution & set aside to cool.
7Drain & rinse cucumber mixture after 4 hours & place in jars, but don't pack tightly.
8Pour cooled solution over these, using long plastic canning thingy to go around inside of jar, up against the glass, to remove all air bubbles.
9Put lid on & place in fridge.