Mini Stuffed Pizza's (calzones)
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 2 tubes
- refrigerated pizza dough (or can make your own)
- 1 Large can(s)
- tomato sauce
- 1 Small can(s)
- tomato paste
- 1 medium
- onion, finely chopped or grated
- 1 clove
- garlic, finely diced
- 4 Tbsp
- pizza seasoning (or make your own blend using rosemary,thyme,oregano,basil, & red pepper flakes)
- salt and pepper to taste
- favorite pizza toppings...
- ideas for toppings : pepperoni, ital sausage, ham, pineapple, green peppers, mozzarella, cheddar, smoked gouda, feta cheese, mushrooms , etc)
- can sub 1 - 2 jars of pizza sauce to save time in which case you don't need tomato sauce, paste, or pizza seasonings unless you wish to add extra herbs to your pizza
1In large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in 1 tbsp of olive oil till onion is clear. Add tomato sauce and tomato paste and heat till slow simmer. Add pizza seasoning, salt and pepper and cover... simmer for about 20 minutes or so or till sauce has thickened. then set aside to cool.
2Roll out pizza dough to about 1/2 to 1/4 inch thick and cut into rectangles roughly about the size of your hand ( can make them smaller if you want to use as an appetizer )
3Preheat oven to 425. Place pizza rectangles on a baking sheet. On each rectangle, spread about 2 to 3 tbsp pizza sauce , or til dough is covered to within a half inch from borders.
4top with your favorite toppings and fold over the crust empanada style. Seal edges and cut steam vents in the top. If making different kinds you can use a paring knife to mark each one different so you know which "pizza" is which.
5Pop them in the oven and bake for approximately 20 minutes or till crust is a light golden brown. Let rest 5 - 10 minutes before serving.
6Some variations I've tried: sauteed mushrooms and green peppers, pepperoni, italian sausage, ham and pineapple, roasted veggie, Hamburger & cheddar, 4 cheese, just to name a few. If you choose, you can serve them with a small bowl of warmed up pizza sauce on the side for dipping
7If making the larger sized, you can get about 6 servings per tube of refridgerator pizza dough. Appetizer size you can get approximately 12 to 18 servings per tube.