Rinse your clams good under cold water and freeze them until you are ready for your recipe. While thawing have them in clean bowl. They will all be open when they thaw out and you want to catch the juice.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- cherrystone clams
- 1/3 c
- garlic chile hot sauce (similar to tabasco but milder and more flavorful)
- 1 medium
- 3 Tbsp
- 2 c
- dried bread pieces (i save my home-made left over bread and crumble it for this dish)
- 1/2 c
- clam juice from clams or bottled
- 3 oz
- shredded or diced into small pieces sharp cheddar
- 3 oz
- shredded or diced into small pieces monteray jack
Twist shells apart while the onion is cooking and arrange half of them on a pan that has been foiled or sprayed with oil.
Add liquids to the clams and then lightly mix in the bread crumbs. Let stand 5 minutes. Top the clam shells with the mix and bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes. Try one and if it seems a bit too wet then lower the temp to 350 for another 15 minutes.
If you use cheap bread use more and be sure it's dried before you use it.
These are so easy to make. You can make batches of them up and keep them frozen in the freezer.