little chicken meatballs
- 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs made from italian or french bread, with the crusts removed
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey
- one large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce, recipe follows
In a large bowl, mix the soaked bread, chicken, egg, cheese, pine nuts, parsley, salt, and pepper to taste. Mix well with your hands
one small onion, chopped
one garlic clove, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
one can Italian style crushed tomatoes, 28 ounces
two fresh basil leaves, torn into bits
salt and pepper
in a medium pan, cook the onion and garlic in the oil over medium heat until tender and Golden, about 10 minutes.
Add tomatoes, basil, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer and cook 10 to 15 minutes or until the sauce is thickened.
Serve hot with meatballs, pasta, egg plant, etc. This sauce can be made up to three days ahead of time. Cover and store in refrigerator. The sauce can also be frozen. Makes about 3 cups.