Gram's Hungarian Kiffle
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 2 - 8oz pkg
- cream cheese
- 1 c
- butter, unsalted - no substitutions
- 2 c
- all purpose flour
- 1/2 c
- powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 tsp
- 3/4 c
- filling, your choice: crushed nut, poppyseed, lekvar (prune butter), applebutter, apricot ~any fruit filling works, etc. i usually make a variety
11) Cream butter and cream cheese till fluffy; gradually blending in sugar.
22) Stir together flour and salt, stir into a creamed mixture. OR...like me, you could just use a food processor for this step to form the dough.
33) Divide in half and roll with your hands to form a "Ball" and Cover; chilling dough several hours or overnight. Be advised; the less you handle the dough the more delicate and flakier it will be when it's baked.
44) On lightly floured surface, roll each portion into rectangles, THEN cut them down into about 2 1/2-inch squares. (There WILL be "odd triangle" sizes left. You'll USE them too! - Kiffles are a ROLLED, 'cresent-shape".)
55) Place a dollop (about one rounded teaspoon) of filling in the center of each square.
66) Lift up two diagonal corners of the dough to center, pinching together to seal into crescents.
77) Preheat oven to 375°.
88) Place dough on ungreased cookie sheet. (I'd STILL spray them with BUTTER FLAVORED PAM! - Better 'safe' than STUCK!)
Bake till firm until golden brown (about 12-15 minutes).
99) Cool on wire racks. Sift powdered sugar over slightly warm pastries.
1010) Store loosely covered in a cool dry place.