Donna's Antipasto Salad
I have a friend from Cleveland who is 2nd generation Italian/Polish/American. She shared the way her family makes Antipasto with me, so with summer in and tomatoes coming off the vines I thought this would be the time to share this. The number of servings is based on number of tomatoes, 2 per person is recommended.
- 2 medium
- italian plum tomatoes per serving
- 1 clove
- garlic, chopped or minced for every 2 tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil, extra virgin per serving ( she says her family prefers a light olive oil)
- 1 tsp
- oregano, dried per 2 tomatoes
- 1 tsp
- parsley flakes, per 2 tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- asiago cheese, grated, thin slices of onion. these can be added for a more substantial meal
1This recipe does not have serving number, so estimate 2 medium tomatoes for every person served. Now chop tomatoes into smallish bite size pieces in a bowl.
2Add chopped or minced garlic, 1 tsp. for every 2 tomatoes.
3If adding optional cheese or onion, do so now. Then drizzle olive oil over all and toss to coat veggies.
4Add herbs and toss again. Salt and pepper to taste.
5You may notice at this point that the tomatoes start to release juices, the olive oil seems to help this along.
6Chill for about one hour or less to help flavors meld and serve with a crusty bread to dip or pile the salad on top of. Enjoy! (according to Donna- Mangia, Mangia!)