Dilled Leek and Mushroom Soup
Note: You can prepare this soup a day ahead and gently reheat to serve. Do not reboil.
1/2 stickbutter, unsalted
2 cleeks, cleaned, white parts only, chopped small, (about 3 reg size or 1 lb)
1 lbbaby bella mushrooms (or other hearty varietie(s)), rinsed, rough chop
1 largewhite rose potato, peeled, grated
6 cvegetable broth/stock, not low sodium
2 Tbspfresh dill, chopped fine, feathery leaves only, or 2 tsp dry
1/2 cheavy cream
2 Tbspcornstarch, dissolved in 3 tbsp water
·salt to taste if desired
How to Make Dilled Leek and Mushroom Soup
- In a large pot, saute the leeks and mushrooms in the unsalted butter over med/hi heat. Stir frequently for 5 - 6 minutes or until the leeks are clear and the mushrooms start to cook well.
- Add the vegetable stock, grated potato, and dill. Bring to a boil over hi heat.
- Reduce heat to low and cover the pot. Simmer, covered for 1 hour.
- Remove lid. Add the cream and diluted cornstarch and heat though just until thickened a bit. Check for salt. Shy away from pepper as it could overwhelm the delicate balance of flavors.
- Serve hot with some crusty bread. Serves 10 as a starter or 6 for a hearty meal.