Oven Roasted Garlic & Onion Soup
Andy Anderson !
This recipe calls for three heads of garlic… NOT three cloves of garlic. While that may seem like a lot of garlic, it isn’t; but we’ll talk more about that in the recipe.
The nice thing about this recipe is that if you have all the ingredients, you can be eating soup in under 90 minutes.
So, what are you waiting for… let’s get cooking.
3 mediumgarlic heads, unpeeled
8 smallyellow onions, unpeeled and cut in half
3 Tbspolive oil, extra virgin
2 cfiltered water
4 cbeef stock, check out my recipe: Hearty Beef Stock
3 mediumpotatoes, golden variety, peeled, and diced
2 Tbspfresh thyme, or one-tablespoon dried
·freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
How to Make Oven Roasted Garlic & Onion Soup
- Chef’s Note: Many people like garlic, but in moderation. The interesting thing is that when you bake garlic, it destroys the compound that gives the garlic its strong taste and smell; making it much milder and sweeter.
When you choose a head of garlic, make sure it is firm and dry, without any discolored patches.
- Place the garlic heads and onions, cut side up on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and drizzle with the olive oil.
- Turn the onions, cut side down, but leave the garlic cut side up.
- Place into the preheated oven, and bake for 45 to 50 minutes. The garlic and onions should be nice and soft.
- Add the water and beef stock to a large pot, and then add in the potatoes, onions, garlic, thyme, and black pepper.