Moroccan Spiced Chickpea Soup
1-1/2tablespoons vegetable oil
1 mediumsize onion, diced
4 largegarlic cloves, minced
1 tsp.ground cinnamon
1 tsp.ground cumin
1/4 tsp.cayenne pepper (for less heat, add an 1/8 tsp.)
32 oz.reduced sodium chicken broth
1(14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes
3(15.5 oz.) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
salt(add if desired, and season according to taste.)
2handfuls of baby spinach, rinsed and patted dry with paper towels
How to Make Moroccan Spiced Chickpea Soup
- Heat vegetable oil in a large stock-pot over medium to medium-high heat.
- Add onion to the pot, and sauté the onion for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes.
- Add the garlic, and sauté the garlic for 1 minute.
- Add the cinnamon, cumin, cayenne pepper and paprika, and cook the spices for about 1 minute.
- Now add the broth, tomatoes, and the chickpeas; stir to mix.
- Bring soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer, cover the pot, and simmer the soup for 45 minutes.
- After the 45 minutes of cooking time, remove about half of the chickpeas, and place them in a bowl.
- Using a potato masher; mash the chickpeas.
- Once mashed, add the chickpeas back to the pot, then add the spinach; stir the soup.
- Season the soup with a bit of salt, if desired, and serve the soup immediately.