Black Bean, Corn, and Salsa Soup
2 (15 oz.)cans black beans
1-1/2tablespoons of butter
1/4 cupdiced onion
2 largecloves of garlic, minced
·black pepper, desired amount added
1 tsp.ground cumin
1 (16 oz.)can spicy fat free refried beans
1 cupsalsa (mild or medium heat)
3 cupscanned beef broth
1 can(15.25 oz.) whole kernel corn, drained
·soup garnishings: shredded cheddar cheese & sour scream (opt.)
How to Make Black Bean, Corn, and Salsa Soup
- Drain and rinse both cans of black beans, then set the beans aside.
- Melt the butter in a 3-quart saucepan, then add the diced onion. Sprinkle onion with a bit of black pepper.
- Saute the diced onion for 2 minutes, then add the minced garlic, and continute to saute the onion and garlic for 1 minute more.
- Sprinkle the cumin over the onion and garlic, then add the can of refried beans, the salsa, and the beef broth, and stir.
- Now add the black beans and corn, and stir. Simmer the soup on low heat, until the soup is heated through, for about 30 minutes.
- If desired, serve individual bowls of soup with shredded cheddar cheese, and a dollop of sour cream.
- Note: When making this soup, the brand of salsa I used was Red Gold (Medium Heat). The brand of refried beans I used was Old ElPaso Spicy Fat Free Refried Beans. And the brand of whole kernel corn I used was Green Giant Whole Sweet Corn.