The story of Lea & Perrins famous Worcestershire Sauce begins in the early 1800's, in the County of Worcester. Returning home from his travels in Bengal, Lord Sandys, a nobleman of the area, was eager to duplicate a recipe he'd acquired. On Lord Sandys' request, two chemist – John Lea and William Perrins – made up the first batch of the sauce. The pair found the taste unpalatable, and simply left the jars in their cellar. A few years later, they stumbled across them and decided to taste the contents again. To their delight the aging process had turned it into a delicious savory sauce.