Mexican Pintos with Cactus
- 2 c
- dry pinto beans, rinsed
- 3 Tbsp
- salt, divided
- 3 slice
- bacon, chopped
- 2 large
- flat cactus leaves (nopales)
- 1 medium
- jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 slice
How to Make Mexican Pintos with Cactus
- 1Place the pinto beans into a slow cooker, and fill to the top with hot water.
- 2Add the bacon, 2 tablespoons of salt, jalapeno and onion.
- 3Cover, and cook on High for 3 to 4 hours, adding water as needed, until beans are tender.
- 4Remove any thorns from the cactus leaves, and slice into small pieces.
- 5Place in a saucepan with 1 tablespoon of salt, and fill with enough water to cover.
- 6Bring to a boil, and cook for 15 minutes.
- 7Drain and rinse with cold water for 1 minute.
- 8Add to the beans when they are soft, and cook for 15 more minutes on High.