Cream of Celery Soup with Madeira Wine
★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 lbfresh celery stocks
1 mediumyukon gold potato
2 Tbspcoconut oil
1 mediumsweet onion roughly chopped
1 largeclove garlic, smashed and chopped
4 ozmadeira wine
1 qtchicken stock
·celtic seasalt to taste
·fresh white pepper to taste
1-13.5 ozcan organic coconut milk
How to Make Cream of Celery Soup with Madeira Wine
- Cut the celery stocks in the same size pieces, about 1" or so. Try to get them the same size to ensure even cooking.
- Cut up the Yukon Gold potato approx. the same size as the celery.
- In a heavy-bottomed pot heat the coconut oil over low-medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion, garlic and celery and cook for about 2-3 minutes or until the onion is transucent. Stir continuously so it won't burn.
- Add in the Madeira wine and cook for another minute or two, until the wine reduces to half (1/4 cup). Don't worry about this if you can't judge, just follow the times.
- Add the soup stock and potato and increase the heat to medium-high and simmer the soup for 15 minutes or until the celery and potato is soft enough to pierce with a fork. But don't let it get mushy.
- Remove from the heat and let it sit for a bit to cool. You can either puree this in batches in a blender or do as I did and use a stick blender and puree the veggies right in the pot. It's easier.
- Add the coconut milk to the cooled soup and puree it again with the stick blender or a small hand mixer. It will ensure the coconut milk will be well mixed into the soup.
- Season with the salt and pepper if you like and add some toasted croutons for some added flavor.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Note: You can add rice as an alternative to the potato if you like. Just substitute 1/3 cup of uncooked rice to the soup and cook until the rice is soft.