Potato Chowder Supreme
Blue Ribbon Recipe
Meat, potatoes, corn and good taste... all rolled-in to one great recipe. This is a hearty "man’s" soup, but it was thoroughly enjoyed by everyone in our home – male and female! The Test Kitchen
3 lbpotatoes, washed, cubed w/skins on
1 lbbacon, cooked and crumbled
3 Tbspall purpose flour
2 can(s)cream of celery soup
2 can(s)whole kernal corn, drained
3 Tbspparsley flakes
How to Make Potato Chowder Supreme
- Place bacon in freezer (SECRET TIP!) before preparing potatoes.
- In soup pot, place cubed potatoes in cold water. Add salt. Cover and bring to boil. Remove lid and continue cooking potatoes until almost thoroughly cooked (will finish cooking upon addition of final ingredients)
- Retrieve bacon from freezer and cut into 1" or 1/2" small pieces. This process allows for ease of cutting slippery bacon. Pan fry, separating bacon pieces.
- Add chopped onion to bacon when bacon is almost done so that onion is fried to a translucent color.
- When bacon and onion are done, sprinkle flour over them and cook flour into bacon grease for 3 minutes. This will thicken soup later. Turn off heat and set aside until potatoes are done cooking.
- When potatoes are done, drain off some water allowing enough water to to cover potatoes to remain in pot.
- In separate bowl, mix soup, milk, parsley, and corn.
- Add soup mixture to pot with potatoes.
- Add bacon and onion mixture to potatoes.
- Add butter to soup and stir gently as to not break up potatoes.
- Reduce heat to med. low and simmer for 20 min.