Delicious Salmon Chowder
4frozen salmon fillets, thawed
4 slicebacon, crisply cooked and crumbled
1 smallonion, finely chopped
1 clovegarlic, minced
1 stalk(s)celery, finely diced
1 box(32) oz chicken broth
3-4 mediumyellow potatoes, scrubbed and diced (i leave them unpeeled)
3 cwhole milk or half & half
1 1/2teaspoons salt or taste
dash(es)of white pepper
·crackers, sliced green onion and fat free shredded cheddar for garnishing (walmart sells fat free shredded cheddar if you cannot find it in the grocery store and it will melt in soup)
How to Make Delicious Salmon Chowder
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp. bacon drippings in bottom of a medium Dutch oven. Add onions, garlic and celery. Saute until softened.
- Add potatoes and chicken stock to pot and cook for about 20 minutes.
- While potatoes are cooking, in a shallow pan sprayed with nonfat cooking spray, bake salmon for about 10 minutes or until fully cooked and flakes easily.
- Flake salmon with a fork, set aside with crumbled bacon.
- Whisk together flour and half & half until smooth.
- Lower heat to medium and add half & half. Let simmer, stirring frequently until soup has thickened.
- Season with salt & white pepper to taste. Stir in Salmon and bacon.
- Serve with crackers, green onions and shredded cheddar.