Italian "Beef Stew"
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1-2 lb
- beef stew meat (depends how meaty you like it, for me it depends what and how much is on sale)
- red potatoes, washed well, peeled is optional
- 1 lb
- fresh string beans
- onion, chopped
- 2 c
- frozen corn, or 1 drained can
- 1 1/2 pkg
- italian dressing mix
- salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Italian "Beef Stew"
- 1Chop your raw (thawed) meat into cubes if it already is not.
Chop potatoes into as uniform pieces as possible.
Snip ends off string beans and cut the longer pieces in half.
- 2Put the raw meat into the bottom of a slow cooker (after its lined with a slow cooker liner for easy clean up! ;) )
Put potatoes on top of meat. Add just enough water so the potatoes are almost completely covered. I've used beef stock as well, but feel it really didn't add to the flavor, just the expense.
Shake the dressing mix over the potatoes and meat, add the onion, green beans and frozen corn then set to cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
- 3Taste before adding additional salt and pepper. Some brands could use a little, others not really.
Stir well and serve hot! We like crusty garlic bread with this.
If it is too liquid, leave the crock pot uncovered during the last 30-45 minutes of cook time.
I only use beef if it is on sale. This is a good base recipe for using chicken as well. Enjoy!
I really don't recommend replacing the fresh string beans with canned or frozen, it seriously compromises the flavor and texture.