Cotton "Nerdy" Popcorn
I combined several popcorn recipes to come up with this version.
The students thought up the name ...
We decided that this version tasted a lot like cotton candy. So the name was born.
I know there are alot of popcorn recipes already posted on JAP. I just had to share this version.
I also mixed some bags with half regular popcorn with the candied corn for those
who wanted salty and sweet. The adults even liked it:))
★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 1/2 csugar
1/2 boxsmall box of jell-o gelatin powder ( i used cherry)
1/4 tspbaking soda
25 cpopped popcorn
2 boxnerd candy--movie theater box size
How to Make Cotton "Nerdy" Popcorn
- Put the popped popcorn in a large bowl ( I did about half of the popped corn at a time) so you have enough room to stir the popcorn to get it coated with the pink fluff.
Make sure to remove all of the un-popped kernals before adding the pink stuff:)) I bought a huge bag of popcorn already popped to shorten the prep time and bake time.
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees. Line two large rimmed baking sheets ( I used two 11x 17 pans) with foil and coat with cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan ( need room for the mixture to double in size), bring the sugar, Jell-o, water and butter to a boil. Once fully boiling, cook for another 4 minutes WITHOUT stirring, swirling the pan occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and soda. Stir until well mixed.
- Pour half of this mixture over half of the popcorn, and one box of nerd candies. Stir with a wooden spoon until well coated. Spread out onto the prepared cooking sheet. Repeat with other half of pink stuff, candy and popcorn. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Store in airtight containers.
- If you pop your own corn, add additional 30 minutes to the baking time and stir every 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.