Canning Garden Fresh Salsa
After making homemade salsa, I don't think I'll go back to store bought!
Yes, it's that good! Hope you enjoy!
6 to 8 qtvine ripe tomatoes
6 to 8 largeonions, chopped
16 clovegarlic, minced
1 lbjalapeno peppers, minced
6 to 8 largebell pepper, chopped
2 ccilantro, freshed, minced
1/4 ccumin seed, ground
15 1/2-ounce can tomato paste
·fresh lime juice
How to Make Canning Garden Fresh Salsa
- BLANCH TOMATOES: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Blanch by dropping a few tomatoes at a time into the boiling water for about 2 minutes at a time. Remove from boiling water and drop into cold water. I fill up sink with cold water. Do this in batches of 6 to 7 tomatoes at time.
- Peel and chop tomatoes coarsely; layer in a large strainer with salt. I used about 4 tablespoons of pickling salt. Layer of tomato, sprinkle with salt; repeat until all tomatoes are in the strainer.
NOTE: Set strainer inside of a large bowl. This will catch the liquid from the tomatoes. To prevent the tomatoes from sitting in the juice turn a smaller bowl upside down in the large bowl for the strainer to set on. The idea is to remove the liquid from the tomatoes. Allow tomatoes to drain for several hour or overnight in a cool spot. Do NOT put in refrigerator. I cover with a towel.
- STERILIZE JARS: place canning jars in a large canner; cover with water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil and boil for 10 minutes. If you have hard water; add about 3 tablespoons of white vinegar to the water to prevent lime build up on the jars.
STERLIZE LIDS: Place lid in boiling water for 5 minutes
- Peel and chop onions. De-seed Jalapeno's and Bell Peppers; chop fine. Peel and mince garlic. Juice limes. Set all this aside.
- Chop the drained tomatoes to texture of your liking; mix with onions, peppers, and garlic. Place in a large deep pot.
Mince cilantro and add to pot. Also, add ground cummin seed.
- Carefully lift sterilized jars from boiling water. Pour 1 half of the water into sink and other half back into pot. (you will need to keep boiling) This will keep the boiling water level up.
- Add 3 tablespoons of fresh lime juice to each jar. Fill jar with boiling hot salsa mixture leaving 1-inch space from top of jar. Place hot sterlized lids on jars and tighten bands.
- Place jars back into boiling water; boil for 20 minutes. Remove jars from water bath and place on a dry towel to cool. Once cooled check seals and band.