"DONT MESS WITH THE POT LIQUOR !"
Pot liquor the end result with the liquid its cook in. DONT add water after starting the cooking process or you end up with bland greens ick! Its best to put a little extra water in at the start then to add later. Some mommas thats a slap offence lol.
better the next day. And the pot liquor. dip some corn bread in there. Some folk drink it and swear its a tonic.
You can also use ham hock instead of bacon just brown with onio
1-2 bunchcollard. turnip. mustard . dandalion .kale. any of or any combo of.
1 smallchopped onion
1/2 tspblack pepper
1/2 tsprosemary, dried
·water to cover
1/4 - 1/2 tspred pepper flakes
1 Tbsptony chachere or other cajun seasoning
How to Make Southern Greens
- Wash and strip your greens
You can leave whole or chop choice is yours.
- Chop bacon and place in stock pan ... Cook over med heat.
If using ham hocks omit bacon and brown hocks and continue on with following steps
- While bacon starts cooking chop onion and garlic and toss in with bacon. . cook until onion is a litle tender. You dont want the bacon to be crunchy. Its ok if its a little under done as it will still be cooked more throughout
- Add the chopped greens into your stock pot. Fold them in with the onion bacon mix and cook about 2 minutes.. continue to fold so nothing burns
- Add salt .pepper. Red pepper . rosemary. And water to cover.. you want greens to just barely float
- Bring to a boil ..3 minutes.
Stir well reduce heat to simmer cover and cook an hour.
Remove lid stir and continue to cook lid off for an hour on lowwww heat.
These are actually better the longer they cook just keep heat very low.