Pear and Caramelized Onion Pizzette
1 mediumsweet onion
2 Tbspolive oil
6 mediumpita bread
3 largeperas, ripe but firm
·fresh ground pepper to taste
3 Tbspfresh chopped thyme, divided
1/2 lbgruyere (you can also use a mixture of your favourite cheeses, grated.)
How to Make Pear and Caramelized Onion Pizzette
- Peel and thinly slice onion. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat, add onions. Lower heat as needed and saute, stirring often for 15-20 minutes or until wilted and golden.
- Peel, core and thinly slice pears. When onions are golden, stir in salt and pepper; remove from pan.
- Add butter to pan; return to medium heat.
- When bubbly, add pears and saute for 8-12 minutes, turning frequently until softened and lightly browned. Cool on plate.
- Lay out your pitas, and spread a small amount of grated cheese on each.
- Dividing equally, spread each round with onion, then add pear and thyme. Top with remaining cheese, and a little more freshly ground black pepper.
- Bake 10-12 minutes, or until pizzettes are golden. Serve right away, whole or cut in half topped with a sprinkling of thyme.