Ramona's Cuisine -
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
·2 aubergines (medium to large)
·4 small groundnut oil * (small drizzles)
FOR THE MISO SAUCE (MARINADE)
·1 tbsp miso paste *
·1 tbsp indonesian soy sauce (sweet)
·2/3 tsp worcester sauce (4 drops)
·1 tsp tamari soy sauce (or any dark soy sauce)
·2 tsp honey
·1 tsp brown sugar
·sesame seeds (or mixed) to sprinkle over
·spring onion (optional) to serve
How to Make Miso aubergines
- Wash and slice the aubergine in half lengthwise. Score in the flesh with a knife (see picture 1) cutting dip into in the flesh but making sure the skin does not get pierced. The diagonal cuts should be about 1.5 cm apart or not more than 1 inch (approx 2 cm). Repeat the same on the other side and with all the aubergine halves. Set aside.
- Let's prepare the marinade by taking out a bowl and stir together all the marinade ingredients. Mix well until everything is nicely homogenized. If marinate is slightly too dense, add one spoon of water.
- Take out a frying pan and put in a drizzle of oil which can be sesame oil, groundnut oil or even olive oil if you don't have any of the two.
- Place as many halves of aubergines as you can fit into the frying pan and fry on each side for two minutes. Repeat this for all aubergines until finished.
- Place all aubergine halves on the baking tray, which you can line with some parchment paper.
- With the help of a brush, brush all the surfaces as well as inside the aubergines cuts so make sure they are all smeared well with the miso sauce marinade. Leave aside to marinade for about 20-30 min.
- Preheat the oven at 190 C and when the aubergines have marinated for at least 20 min, smear more marinade all over and place those in the oven. Bake for about 30 minutes until the flesh is becoming really tender and the tops are really dark and look well caramelized.
- When all is ready, take out of the oven and scatter some sesame seeds as well as finely chopped spring onions (optional) over the aubergines
- Serve when slightly cooled off alongside a nice egg fried rice, a nice stir fry or sushi. Enjoy!