MEXICAN STREET CORN SALAD (SALLYE)
I think you'll find yourself making this recipe over and over again. Enjoy.
16 ozfrozen whole kernel corn
1 mediumonion (red preferred)
1 mediumred or green bell pepper
2 Tbspcooking oil
1 tspground cumin
1/2 tspchili powder
3 Tbspmexican cream ***
3 Tbspfresh cilantro leaves
1 Tbspfresh lime juice
1/2 ccrumbled cotija cheese
How to Make MEXICAN STREET CORN SALAD (SALLYE)
- ***To make your own Mexican cream --- mix 1/2 cup heavy cream, 1/2 cup sour cream, and a pinch of salt together until well blended. Store unused portion in fridge in covered container.
- Peel and quarter onion and place in food processor.
Remove core, seeds and membrane from bell pepper, cut into quarters and place in food processor.
Pulse together until coarsely chopped (4-5 times is usually enough).
Transfer to bowl and set aside.
- In same food processor, add 1/3 bunch of fresh cilantro (leaves only) and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Heat oil in large heavy skillet (cast iron preferred) over medium high heat until shimmering.
- Add corn, onion and bell pepper to oil and cook about 5-7 minutes until tender and lightly browned.
Stir with wooden spoon occasionally to keep from burning.
- Stir in cumin and chili powder and cook about 2 more minutes until well blended and fragrant.
- Remove skillet from heat.
- Immediately stir in Mexican cream, cilantro and lime juice.
Sprinkle cheese over top.
- Best served while still hot.