Greek Fava (Yellow Split Peas Puree)
Picture & recipe my own.
3 Tbspolive oil
3onions, roughly chopped
18 ozyellow split peas
3 cwarm water
1/3 colive oil
·salt & pepper to taste
·a few kalamata olives, whole or chopped
·caramelized onions or freshly diced gr. onions
How to Make Greek Fava (Yellow Split Peas Puree)
- Rinse the split peas in plenty of water.
- Heat a tall pot over medium-high heat, add 3 Tbps olive oil, the chopped onions & saute.
- When the onion starts to caramelize add the split peas and blend. Carefully pour in the warm water and the olive oil. The mixture will spatter. Turn down the heat to medium and season with salt & pepper..Stirring frquently.
- Simmer for about 40 minutes or until the split peas are thick. The split peas tend to stick to the bottom of the pot when cooking, so it will require close attention, especially during the latter part of the cooking process. Some white foam might surface on the water, as the split peas are boiling. With a slotted spoon remove the foam.
- When done, pour in the lemon juice, adjust the seasoning as necessary & mix. With a hand immersion blender mash the fava to become smooth & creamy. If too thick you can add a little vinegar or white wine or just water.
- Spread on a large plate, garnish with topping of your choice & drizzle with olive oil. ENJOY!
- Tip:: Leeks can be used instead of the chopped onions.
Garnish: Caramelized onions, or freshly chopped green onion, capers or & chopped parsley..