Classic Pinto Beans
Janus Joy Miller
1 -2 cdry pinto beans
1 largeclove fresh garlic, peeled, cut in half
6 -8 cwater, divided
1/2 tspbaking soda
1-2 tspground cumin (i grind whole seeds with a little mortar and pestle)
1 - 2 tspsalt
1/4 tspfreshly ground pepper
1 pinchcayenne pepper
How to Make Classic Pinto Beans
- Rinse beans, and cover with water to about 2 inches above beans.
- Add garlic.
- Bring beans and garlic to a boil.
- Boil covered for 30 minutes. Watch them closely, adding water as needed to keep water level above beans.
- Reduce heat to low, and stir in baking soda. It will foam up, releasing the gas causing elements.
- Add all spices EXCEPT SALT.
- Simmer on low until tender.
- Stir in salt, then simmer on low until liquid is creamy.