Chilli, ginger and lemon rind jam
Ramona's Cuisine -
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
·350 g mixed chillies and peppers*
·120 g coconut sugar *
·2 tsp fresh ginger grated or finely shredded *
·1 tsp lemon zest from 1/2 lemon *
·100 ml cider vinegar organic with mother
·1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper added at the very end
·1 pinch salt
·1 tsp lemon juice
How to Make Chilli, ginger and lemon rind jam
- Wash and slice the small chillies and chop the peppers. Please drain or tap with a kitchen towel for any water droplets.
- Sterilize the jar(s) - see recipe note how
- Place all chillies in a pan or a pot on medium fire. Add the salt, sugar and the vinegar. You can add 1-2 tbsp water if you wish to end up with a little more syrup. I did not add any water this time.
- Cook for about 10-15 min uncovered on medium heat.
- Add the ginger and the lemon zest, mix and allow to cook for a further 3 min uncovered. The syrup texture should be one of a runny honey.
- Take some syrup out on a plate, allow it to cool slightly and if it splits when you draw a line with your finger thought the middle of the syrup it should remain split, it is ready. It will thicken more after. Be careful and keep a good eye on it, don’t go away while making it as it can caramelise fairly quick. The heat should be meduim to low.
- Once you have decided it’s ready, have a steralised jar or two smaller ones ready and transfer it carefully into these. Close with the lid and wrap into a towel so it will slowly cool down.
- Squeeze a dash of lemon juice and give it a nice grind of freshly ground black or red peper at the very end just before turning the heat off.