Asparagus with Maltaise Sauce
1 bunchasparagus, tough ends trimmed
3 largefree-run egg yolks
1 Tbspfreshly squeezed lemon juice
1 Tbspfreshly squeezed orange juice
1 Tbsporange zest
·salt & pepper, to taste
2/3 to 1 cbutter, melted
How to Make Asparagus with Maltaise Sauce
- While the asparagus is steaming, make the sauce. In a medium saucepan, combine egg yolks and whisk vigorously until they get thick, about 1 minute. While whisking, add lemon and orange juice with the zest.
- Move saucepan over medium heat and keep moving it off the heat, whisking constantly. The trick here is to not shock the yolks and gradually heat them up.
- When the sauce gets thick, move the saucepan away from the heat and start adding the melted butter by pouring a few drops at first (don’t shock the yolks), whisking continuously. Gradually add more until the sauce is nice and smooth (never stop whisking).
- Spoon over steamed asparagus, if not needed yet, move to the back burner, keeping warm on very low temperature. Makes 1 ¼ cups
- To view this recipe on YouTube, click on this link >>>>