6-8fresh asparagus spears per person (number depends on size of spears)
1 sliceham lunchmeat per person
1 small pinchfine sea salt per "raft"
1 pinchfresh ground black pepper per raft
1 tspfreshly grated/shredded parmesan cheese per raft
How to Make ASPARAGUS RAFTS
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Spray foil lightly with olive oil baking spray or use a paper towel, dipped in a little olive oil, to lightly grease the foil. Set aside.
- Wash and trim woody cut ends of asparagus; place on paper towels and pat dry.
- Cut each slice of ham in half lengthwise. Make 6, evenly spaced, vertical slits in each piece, carefully avoiding the edges.
- Weave asparagus stalks through each slit, using as many stalks as will fit without tearing the ham (if it tears, you can "patch" it with a small piece of ham placed over the tear,) placing each "raft" on prepared foil lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 425ºF for 15 minutes (20 minutes for large spears.)
- Remove from oven, sprinkle parmesan cheese lightly over all; return to oven for 2 to 3 minutes, until cheese is melted. Serve.
- Cover and refrigerate leftovers. May be assembled, covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated up to 1 day ahead. Preheat oven and bake, uncovered, as directed.