Alma's Bread and Butter Pickles
4 qtpickling cucumbers
1 1/2 cwhite onion
2 qtice * may need more
4 1/2 cwhite sugar
1 1/2 tsptumeric
1 tspcelery seed
3 capple cider vinegar
How to Make Alma's Bread and Butter Pickles
- Bleach and sterilize your kitchen sink. Run lids and jars through dishwasher by themselves.
- Turn oven on warm or lowest setting. Put lids and jars on a cookie sheet in oven so they will stay warm.
- I use my thoroughly bleached and sterilized kitchen sink to ice my cucumbers in. Makes things easier, especially with all the ice and clean up is easy. *Just use extreme caution! The sink must be totally scrubbed and bleached. Rinse very well and poor hot boiling water into sink after cleaning.
- Wash and slice cucumbers and onion. I slice my cucumbers medium thin and my onion into rings.
- Mince garlic.
- Put everything into one side of sterilized sink with the *sink stopper in. *It should be run through the dishwasher, then bleached and rinsed very well.
- Add salt on TOP of cucumber mixture. DO NOT mix in!
- Add ice to cover for 3 hours. Keep adding ice as needed, this is what makes them crispy and not soggy.
- After 3 hours drain well
- Drain on a dish towel on the other side of sterilized sink. Pat dry with another clean dish towel, remove as much water as you can.
- Now you will need a large stock pot
- Combine sugar, spices and vinegar. Heat to a boil.
- Add drained and patted cucumber mixture.
- Heat for 5 min on low boil.
- Remove jars and lids from oven.
- Pack into sterilized jars.
- Process in canner according to directions. I process 10 min. in mine and it is standard according to Ball.
- Take out jars and quickly add lids and caps.
- Cool and store
- *This made for me 3 quarts and 7 pints. But everyone's is different and depends on number of cucumbers etc.
- This recipe is easiest in small batches. Enjoy
- If this is your first time canning I suggest you get a canning book by Ball. It is not very hard and you will enjoy your new found skill so very much! Make sure you have all utensils and everything ready and sterilized. Sterilization is of extreme importance, remember that and you will be just fine !