50 Calorie Eggplant
How to Make 50 Calorie Eggplant
- Trim off top and bottom of eggplant. Peel if you prefer. Slice eggplant in to 1/4 inch thick slices. Place on a large platter, sprinkle with salt. Cover and let the eggplant rest for 1 hour.
- Drain eggplant. Rinse off salt and pat dry lightly with a paper towel.
(The dressing sticks better to a dry slice of eggplant.)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Prepare two large rimmed baking sheets with non-stick spray.
(You can oil the baking sheets if you prefer.)
- Set up your dredging station. Pour the Italian dressing into a medium deep bowl. Pour some breadcrumbs onto a large plate. Set them side by side. Using a fork, pick up a slice of eggplant and dip it into the dressing, coating both sides. Then dredge it through the breadcrumbs, again, coating both sides. Place it on the prepared baking sheet. Continue with the rest of the eggplant.
- After you have filled the baking sheets with breaded eggplant, sprinkle with Italian seasoning and salt and pepper.
Optional - you can mist the breaded eggplant with some oil to make it crispy.
- Bake for 40 minutes, flipping the eggplant after 20 minutes. You might need to switch the trays on the oven racks also, to prevent over-browning.
- Serve with your favorite spaghetti/marinara sauce. Or sprinkle them with a little grated parmesan.
I use Good Seasons Italian dressing. You can use traditional or Panko breadcrumbs. With the Good seasons and the panko, it works out to 50 calories per slice.
You can cut the eggplant into sticks and cook it this way to make snack sticks or an appetizer.