Smoked Bacon Wrapped French Vidalia Onion
4Vidalia onions (small-medium)
2 Tbspextra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 TbspMontreal seasoning
4 slicethick bacon
4 ozGruyere, slice & torn; more if you like
2 Tbspflat leaf parsley, chopped
3/4 cbeef broth
1/4 cdry vermouth
1/4 tsplemon thyme
1/2 TbspMontreal seasoning
How to Make Smoked Bacon Wrapped French Vidalia Onion
- Peel and cut about 1/2” of the onion tops. Trim off a small amount of the bottom of onions so they stand upright.
- With a spoon, scoop out a few of the inner layers of the onion leaving the majority of the outer layers.
- Brush onions with olive oil.
- Liberally sprinkle seasoning over each onion.
- Wrap bacon slices around each onion; secure with a toothpick.
- Prep smoker to 250 degrees F.
- Combine basting sauce ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Put 2 tablespoons of sauce in the center of each onion.
- Smoke for 2 hours.
- Baste every 30 minutes.
- The last 5-10 minutes, place cheese inside and around onions allowing melting.
- Garnish with parsley.