Naturally Fermented Kraut in Canning Jars
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1 galshredded and finely chopped cabbage
How to Make Naturally Fermented Kraut in Canning Jars
- Trim up the stalks to poke down into the mason jars later on.
- Shred the cabbage and finely chop it up.
- Combine 1 gallon of chopped cabbage in a large bowl with salt and sugar. Mix it all up thoroughly.
- Put the mixture in Quart Mason Jars, packed lightly. leaving about an inch of head space. Stick the trimmed stalks down in the center of the jars.
- Place the lids on the jars, firmly but not tight, so the built up gases can escape.
- Store the jars in a cool dark place where the temperature is between 65 and 70 degrees.
- After 14 days tighten the lids. The process should be complete in 30 to 60 days.