Naturally Fermented Kraut in Canning Jars
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 1 gal
- shredded and finely chopped cabbage
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 Tbsp
How to Make Naturally Fermented Kraut in Canning Jars
- 1Trim up the stalks to poke down into the mason jars later on.
- 2Shred the cabbage and finely chop it up.
- 3Combine 1 gallon of chopped cabbage in a large bowl with salt and sugar. Mix it all up thoroughly.
- 4Put the mixture in Quart Mason Jars, packed lightly. leaving about an inch of head space. Stick the trimmed stalks down in the center of the jars.
- 5Place the lids on the jars, firmly but not tight, so the built up gases can escape.
- 6Store the jars in a cool dark place where the temperature is between 65 and 70 degrees.
- 7After 14 days tighten the lids. The process should be complete in 30 to 60 days.