Puerto Rice & Pigeon Peas (Arroz Con Gandules)
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
2 mediumonions, chopped
2 can(s)tomato sauce
2 can(s)pigeon peas
2 Tbspmanzanillo olives
2 can(s)chicken stock
2 lbwhite rice
·garlic powder, to taste
·salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Puerto Rice & Pigeon Peas (Arroz Con Gandules)
- In a saucepan cook the bacon until crispy
- Remove and chop in small pieces.
- In same bacon fat, stir fry onions till tender.
- Add sofrito for about 2 to 3 minutes
- Add chopped bacon, tomato sauce, drained beans, the raw rice and chicken broth and stir well.
- Add enough water to cover the rice, about 1 and 1/2 inch above rice line.
- Let boil (uncovered) on medium high heat until water evaporates.
- Lower heat to low and cover with aluminum foil and cook for about 35 to 45 minutes. Serve
- Using aluminum foil to cook rice is a secret so all the rice cooks quickly.