Crispy Potatoes With Shallots
This new technique for frying potatoes from Alex Guarnaschelli, chef/owner of The Darby, where these potatoes are super-popular. Guarneschelli recommends using Baker potatoes if you can find them, but russets or another starchy potato will do the trick as well.
"For the best results, let the shallots sit for a few hours in the vinegar before frying," she says.
Note: The long prep time is for baking the potatoes.
- medium shallots, peeled
- 2/3 c
- white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp
- granulated sugar
- medium baker potatoes, scrubbed clean
- 1 qt
- canola oil
- kosher salt
How to Make Crispy Potatoes With Shallots
- 1Preheat the oven to 350F.
- 2Place the shallots root end down on a flat surface and cut them in half, then slice them fairly thinly (about 1/8 inch).
- 3Pour the vinegar and sugar into a small saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring to make sure the sugar has dissolved. Pour the vinegar mix into a medium bowl, stir in the shallots and set aside.
- 4Place the potatoes in the oven and bake until tender when pierced in the center with the tip of a knife, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Set the potatoes aside to cool.
- 5Pour the oil into a heavy-bottomed pot (or, alternatively, a deep fryer). Heat the oil slowly over low heat to 375 F using a thermometer to monitor the temperature.
- 6Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise and break the flesh up with your fingers so there are some large and some small pieces.
Separate the potatoes into 2 piles, large pieces in one, smaller in the other.
- 7Line a baking sheet with a kitchen towel to drain the potatoes and shallots once they are cooked.
- 8Drop the potatoes, in small batches, into the oil. Fry the larger pieces first because they will take longer. Cook until crispy, turning on both sides with a slotted metal spoon. Drain them on the lined baking sheet. Season with salt immediately.
- 9When all of the potatoes, big and small, are fried, toss the shallots in the oil and fry for 1 minute or so until slightly crispy. Remove them with the slotted spoon, drain and toss with the potatoes. Sprinkle with the vinegar from the shallots.
Pile into a bowl.