Bacon and Sage Mashed Potatoes
- large yukon gold potatoes or 5 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp
- 2 1/2 c
- shredded smoked gouda cheese
- 4 slice
- bacon, fried until crisp (but not black)
- 2 Tbsp
- finely chopped fresh sage
How to Make Bacon and Sage Mashed Potatoes
- 1Place the potatoes and enough broth to barely cover them in a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- 2Cover, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer just until tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- 3Drain the potatoes, reserving the cooking liquid.
- 4Return the potatoes and 1 cup of the cooking liquid to the saucepan and, using a potato masher or the back of a wooden spoon, mash until smooth.
- 5Add the butter and gouda and stir until incorporated and melted; do not over mix.
If necessary, add more broth to attain the desired consistency but be careful not to make then too liquidy.
- 6Stir in the bacon, sage and salt and pepper to taste.