Loaded Summer Squash Casserole
Julie Jarrell Bailey
5-6 csummer (yellow) squash, cut in chunks (about 4 to 6 squash, depending on size)
1 mediumsweet onion, chopped
1 can(s)cream of celery soup
1 csour cream
2 ccheddar cheese, shredded
1 cherbed stuffing mix
1 tube(s)ritz crackers, crushed
4-6 slicecooked bacon, crumbled (optional)
·salt & pepper to taste
·chopped chives (optional)
How to Make Loaded Summer Squash Casserole
- PRE-HEAT OVEN TO 350-degrees.
Melt butter over medium heat in large pot.
- Rough chop onion. ADD to pot of melting butter.
- ADD salt & pepper to taste. I use about 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. STIR ingredients together to coat with salt & pepper. Turn heat to LOW. COVER pot with lid and allow to cook for about 10 minutes until slightly soft. Don't over-cook or the squash becomes mushy.
- ADD Cream of Celery Soup, the sour cream and 1 c. of the shredded cheese.
- CRUSH the Ritz Crackers. ADD half of the crushed crackers and the herbed stuffing mix to the squash, soup, sour cream and cheese mixture. STIR well.
- Spray casserole dish with butter-flavored spray cooking oil. POUR mixture into the casserole dish. (I used an 8x8 in this photo but a larger casserole dish also works)
- COVER with foil and BAKE at 350-degrees for approximately 30-minutes or until mixture is golden-brown and bubbly. (OPTIONAL): TOP with BACON. Return to oven un-covered for additional 10-minutes.
- REMOVE from oven. Let sit for 5 to 10 minutes and serve warm. Top with chopped chives before serving (optional).