Creamed Parmesan Pearl Onion Casserole
Blue Ribbon Recipe
Great technique for a great casserole! The Test Kitchen
2 jar(s)15-oz. whole pearl onions (*such as aunt nellie's holland style-- don t use pickled onions!)
1/3 call purpose flour
2 ccream or half 'n half
1 -2 Tbspdry sherry (optional-- not necessary!!!)
1/3 cfreshly grated parmesan cheese
1/2 tspdry mustard powder
·salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cgrated cheddar cheese
How to Make Creamed Parmesan Pearl Onion Casserole
- Open jar and drain onions. Preheat oven to 350 Deg. F.
- Melt butter in a 2-quart sauce or saute pan over medium heat. Turn heat to low and stir in the flour. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly (you must cook a little to avoid a "raw flour" flavor). Stir in Cream (or Half N Half) and sherry. stir to blend.
- Stir in Parmesan, mustard powder, nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Stir well to thoroughly combine ingredients and melt cheese.
- Grease a small oven baking dish (or spray with nonstick cooking spray). Put drained onions into baking dish, then cover thoroughly with white sauce mixture. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese over top, then sprinkle on Paprika over top.
- Bake at 350 deg. F. for 35-40 minutes, until mixture is bubbly and hot. If desired, broil the top briefly until golden brown.
- Note: You can make this one day ahead and partially bake. Then finish baking for 10-15 minutes on the day you will be serving it.