Potluck Irish Potatoes
Blue Ribbon Recipe
The flavor combo in this recipe is so good. I really liked the layering of flavors in this dish. They all were there in every bite ... and made every bite really enjoyable.
This recipe called for on can of milk. I interpreted this as using the soup can filled with milk. The Test Kitchen
4medium to large potatoes
1 can(s)campbell's cream of mushroom soup
1 can(s)milk(use can that soup came in per directions)
1 tspkosher salt
1 tspcourse ground black pepper
1quarter loaf original velveeta cut into 1" cubes(standard large size loaf)
3 slicedeli roast beef (i used the cajun seasoned) cut into 1/2" squares(med thin slice) approx 1/4 lb
3 slicedeli corned beef cut into squares also(med thin slice) approx. 1/4 lb
4-5 slicebacon fried and crumbled (save grease)
1/2 pkgshredded cabbage appox. 2-3 cups
3/4 ccoursely shredded colby cheese/or your favorite
3-4green onion stems (you can used the whole onion, but i prefer milder flavor of just the green stem.) chopped
1/2medium size yellow onion sliced and cut into 1/2" pieces
1/2 tspeach salt and pepper
How to Make Potluck Irish Potatoes
- Fry the bacon in a non-stick or cast iron skillet until crisp. Transfer to paper towel, but leave grease in skillet.
- While bacon is cooking, peel, wash, and slice potatoes into appox. 1/8" thick slices as you would for scalloped potatoes. Place in 9x13 baking dish.
- Mix soup and milk in small bowl and pour over potatoes. Incorporate potatoes and mushroom soup mixture.
- Sprinkle dish with a teaspoon each of Course Pepper and Kosher Salt.
Check your bacon, no burning allowed! Just kidding! Your doing great!
- Add first a layer of the roast beef pieces, then the corned beef pieces, and finally the cubed Velveeta.
Bake in preheated 350 deg. oven for approx. 40 minutes, or until potatoes tender. Check with fork.
- While dish is in oven, reheat the skillet with bacon grease and add the yellow onion and cabbage.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper, about 1/2 tsp each.
Fry in hot bacon grease until cabbage is done and beginning to brown. Remove from heat and stir in 1/4 stick of butter.
- When potatoes are done, remove from oven.
Using fork, transfer cabbage and onion mixture to cassrole dish to uniformly cover potatoes and cheese.
Sprinkle with shredded colby cheese. Top with bacon, and finally, chopped green onions.
Return to oven for about 10 minutes to melt cheese and crisp slightly. Times vary so be careful not to burn onions.
- Remove from oven and allow to stand for 10-15 min. before serving. Can be side or a main dish served with warm rolls as it does contain meat, veggies, and dairy!