Irish Boxty Pancakes for Halloween
These pancakes are creamy, rich, and just wonderful. I think they're best when cooked with onion and served savory, but you can also serve them plain with sugar or powdered sugar.
1 craw, grated potato
1 ccooked mashed potatoes (leftovers are fine)
1 call-purpose flour
1 tspbaking powder
1 largeegg, beaten
1 smallonion, minced fine (optional -- for savory boxty pancakes)
How to Make Irish Boxty Pancakes for Halloween
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the grated potato, onion (if using), and buttermilk (this keeps the potato from discoloring).
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Add grated potato mixture, egg, and mashed potato.
- Mix well. Batter should be about the texture of thick pancake batter. Add additional flour or buttermilk if necessary.
- Melt butter in a heavy skillet or on a griddle.
- Over medium heat, drop large spoonfuls of Boxty batter into skillet, making approximately 6" pancakes.
- Brown well on both sides. Serve hot.