How to Make Carmelized Yams
- Peel yams and slice in 1/2 inch slices
- Heat a heavy frying pan (I use cast iron) with Crisco until melted.
- Add butter. It will foam and that is OK
- Add the yams slices in a single layer and fry for several minutes then sprinkle sugar over top.
Continue frying until starting to brown on bottom then turn over and do the same with the other side
Carmelization is individualized due to the moisture content of the yam so add sugar as needed to make a dark carmel appearance.
Remove with a slotted spoon to a serving dish. Enjoy.
- Can be reheated and some say even better the next day.