Old Fashioned Baked Beans with Bacon
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
3 cnavy beans
1 tspground himalayan sea salt
3/4 cmolasses, preferably blackstrap, divided
3 Tbspbrown sugar, such as demerara
1 Tbspprepared yellow mustard
1/4 tspdry mustard
1/8 tspbaking soda
·freshly ground black pepper, to taste (i always use mixed peppercorns)
1 largered onion, halved and cut into 8 pieces
How to Make Old Fashioned Baked Beans with Bacon
- Soak beans overnight in cold water at room temperature adding 2 inches of water above. Twelve (12) hours later, drain and transfer in a large pot. Cover with cold water, add sea salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 40 minutes or until tender. Drain but SAVE THE LIQUID. Transfer back to the large pot and set aside.
- Meantime, in a mixing bowl combine molasses, brown sugar, prepared mustard, dry mustard, baking soda and black pepper; stir and set aside. Take 1 slice of bacon and rub the sides of the interior bean pot. Cut bacon slices into pieces. Place half (4 pieces) of onion at the bottom of the pot.
- Pour sauce over the beans and mix to coat. Add bacon pieces, stir and pour half of the bean mixture into the bean pot over the onion pieces. Add the remaining onion pieces and pour the remaining sauce; add more black pepper and the remaining ¼ cup of molasses; stir just the top to spread molasses evenly. Pour the reserved liquid enough to cover the bean mixture. Place lid and transfer into a 325ºF preheated oven for 6 hours.
- Every hour, check and add more reserved liquid if needed. The last hour, pour liquid to cover and uncovered to darken the beans.
- To view this recipe on YouTube, click on this link >>>>