Homemade Apple Butter
Blue Ribbon Recipe
The taste of this spicy-sweet butter brings back so many childhood memories of eating apple butter with my cousins, the Daileys. As a team we would go through what seemed like gallons of the stuff in less than a week. I hope you love this as much as I do. The Test Kitchen
5 1/2 lbapples, peeled, cored and chopped
1 cwhite sugar
1/2 cbrown sugar
2 tspvanilla --- optional
1/4 tspground cloves
How to Make Homemade Apple Butter
- Place the chopped apples in the crock pot and add the rest of the ingredients, stir to blend well.
- cover and cook on high for one hour
- reduce heat to low and cook 10-11 hours, stir occasionally. Until mixture is thickened and dark brown.
- Uncover and continue cooking on low for 1 hour.
Stir with whisk if desired to increase the smoothness
- Spoon mixture into clean freezer containers, cover and refrigerate or freeze
- **** You can add more sugar (up to 4 cups) but I like mine just a little tart but still sweet. I don't think I would ever use more than 2 cups even if the Apples are tart.