Spicy Caramel Apple Sauce (Not Applesauce)
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 1 c
- heavy cream
- 1/2 c
- apple juice
- whole star anise
- piece fresh ginger (1-inch peeled and chopped)
- cinnamon sticks
- 1/8 tsp
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 1/2 c
- 1 Tbsp
- apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp
- apple or butterscotch schnapps
How to Make Spicy Caramel Apple Sauce (Not Applesauce)
- 1Combine the cream, apple juice, star anise, ginger, cloves, cinnamon sticks, and nutmeg in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat and let steep for at least 20 minutes
- 2Strain the mixture into a clean small saucepan and place back over low heat while you make the caramel.
- 3Combine the sugar, 1/2 cup water, and the vinegar in a medium saucepan over high heat and cook without stirring until a deep amber color, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 4Slowly and carefully whisk in the warm cream mixture a little at a time, and continue whisking until smooth. Add the schnapps and cook for 30 seconds longer.
- 5Transfer to a bowl and keep warm. The sauce can be made 2 days in advance and refrigerated. Reheat over low heat before serving.