This recipe is private
Spicy Caramel Apple Sauce (Not Applesauce)
A warm wonderful sauce suited to adult tastes. Use it on anything! Baked puddings of any kind, pound cakes, ice cream, cheesecake, fruit compote. Let your taste and imagination be your guide.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes
makes 2 cups
- 1 c
- heavy cream
- 1/2 c
- apple juice
- whole star anise
- piece fresh ginger (1-inch peeled and chopped)
- cinnamon sticks
- 1/8 tsp
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 1/2 c
- 1 Tbsp
- apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp
- apple or butterscotch schnapps
How to Make Spicy Caramel Apple Sauce (Not Applesauce)
- 1Combine the cream, apple juice, star anise, ginger, cloves, cinnamon sticks, and nutmeg in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat and let steep for at least 20 minutes
- 2Strain the mixture into a clean small saucepan and place back over low heat while you make the caramel.
- 3Combine the sugar, 1/2 cup water, and the vinegar in a medium saucepan over high heat and cook without stirring until a deep amber color, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 4Slowly and carefully whisk in the warm cream mixture a little at a time, and continue whisking until smooth. Add the schnapps and cook for 30 seconds longer.
- 5Transfer to a bowl and keep warm. The sauce can be made 2 days in advance and refrigerated. Reheat over low heat before serving.