Rajas con Ajo
How to Make Rajas con Ajo
- 1Preparing the Chiles:
Begin by preparing your heat source. You will need something extremely hot to char the chiles with. An open flame, such as a grill, is best.
You can also roast them in a hot pan or under a broiler.
- 2Turn up the heat and begin roasting the chiles by turning them frequently. Roast them until the skins are blackened and blistering. The skins do not need to be solid black, just blackened in areas and the rest of the skin should appear loosened and browned.
- 3This should take about 10 minutes over an open flame or in a broiler, and 15-20 minutes if you roast them in a pan.
- 4When the chiles have cooled enough to where you can touch them, begin peeling of the skin. The skin should peel off easily, but if it is being stubborn, you can run it under warm water while peeling.
- 5This will remove some of the chiles flavorful oils and should only be done if the skin is very hard to remove.
- 6Cut the stem portion off and then slit the remaining chili down the entire side and open it up. Use a spoon to scrape the seeds off. Discard the seeds and stems and cut into 1/2 inch slices lengthwise.
- 7Preparing the Onions:
While the chiles are roasting, cut the ends off of the onion and peel the skin off. Slice the onion into 1/4 inch rings. Heat a large pan over medium heat and drizzle in the oil.
- 8When the oil is hot, begin to cook the onions over high heat. Sprinkle the sugar over the onions. When the onions are soft, translucent and begin to brown on the edges, turn the heat down to low.
- 9Finishing the Rajas con Ajo:
Peel the skin off of the garlic and chop it finely. Add it to the onions and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes over low heat.
- 10Sprinkle a pinch or two of salt over the onions and garlic and a little black pepper if you desire. Slowly and carefully pour the heavy cream into the hot pan, and stir the mixture.
- 11Continue to cook over low heat for a minute or two until the cream begins to thicken slightly. Let the Rajas con Ajo cool momentarily to further thicken the sauce. Serve immediately