Puerto Rican Sofrito
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1 1/2 cvegetable oil
2 Tbspannatto seeds, cleaned
1/2 lbcooking ham, cubed
2 lbgreen peppers
1/2 lbajíes dulces, or sweet peppers
1 bunchrecao or culantro leaves
1 bunchculantrillo (fresh bay leaves)
2 Tbspdried oregano
How to Make Puerto Rican Sofrito
- Un a small saucepan, heat the vegetable oil on high heat. Then reduce the heat, add the achiote and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Let cool completely and empty into a large pan, straining it through a colander with absorbent paper.
- In a blender or food processor, blend the cooking ham, green peppers, ajíes dulces (Spanish Sweet Chili), onions, garlic, culantro (Mexican coriander leaves), culantrillo (bay leaf) and oregano, using all the liquid that they produce.
- Add to the pan and cook under high heat until it boils. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Use what you need for the recipe you are making at the time.
- To Store:
Let the sauce cool completely and pour into an ice cube tray (2 tablespoons of the sauce per cube). Put the tray in the freezer.
- Once frozen, remove the cubes and keep them in sealable plastic bags and put them back in the freezer.
- Now you have your own sofrito stock, ready to add.