Ina Garten's Homemade Ricotta Cheese
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
4 cwhole milk
2 cheavy cream
1 tspkosher salt
3 Tbspgood white wine vinegar
How to Make Ina Garten's Homemade Ricotta Cheese
- Set a large sieve over a deep bowl.
- Dampen 2 layers of cheesecloth with water and line the sieve with the cheesecloth.
- Pour the milk and cream into a stainless steel or enameled pot such as Le Creuset. Stir in the salt.
- Bring to a full boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the vinegar.
- Allow the mixture to stand for 1 minute until it curdles.
- It will separate into thick parts (the curds) and milky parts (the whey).
- Pour the mixture into a cheesecloth-lined sieve and allow it to drain into the bowl at room temperature for 20 to 25 minutes, occasionally discarding the liquid that collects in the bowl.
- The longer you let the mixture drain, the thicker the ricotta. (I tend to like mine on the thicker side but some prefer it moister.)
- Transfer the ricotta to a bowl, discarding the cheesecloth and any remaining whey.
- Use immediately or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- The ricotta will keep refrigerated for 4 to 5 days.