This recipe is private
Green Tomato and Bacon Jam
A savory condiment used on sandwiches, as an appetizer, and amazing mixed into burger meat.
- 4 c
- green tomatoes, cored and chopped (about 3 pounds)
- 2 c
- sweet onion, chopped (1 large)
- 1 c
- white sugar
- 3 Tbsp
- apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp
- kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 dash(es)
- hot sauce
- 8 slice
- bacon, crisply cooked and crumbled
How to Make Green Tomato and Bacon Jam
- 1Wash and core the tomatoes.
Process in food processor until finely chopped. Pour into 3 quart saucepan
Quarter onions, process in food processor until finely chopped. Pour into tomato mixture
- 2Add the sugar, vinegar, and seasonings: mix well.
- 3Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium, stir in bacon, and cook until thickened and jammy (about an hour).
Continue stirring frequently (every 5 minutes)
Taste and adjust seasonings.
- 4Transfer to sterile jars when cool. Store in freezer up to six months
For burgers, 1 tablespoon per quarter pound burger tastes delicious to my family. Just add the jam to the ground meat, then season, shape, and cook the patties as you normally prefer.