8 largehard-boiled eggs, coarsely chopped
2 largeonions, one peeled and coarsely chopped the other one halved
6 mediumtomatoes, coarsely chopped
2serrano chiles, roasted, seeded and skins removed
1 Tbspmexican oregano
7 clovegarlic, peeled
·salt to taste
3 cfresh, raw pumpkin seeds, hulled
2sprigs of fresh epazote
4 cchicken stock (2 cans)
How to Make Papadzules
- First prepare the seeds by lightly toasting them in a hot pan for 5-7 minutes.
Do not brown too much or the seeds will lose the green color.
- Blend the warmed seeds in a blender or food processor until a paste forms.
Press through a sieve to separate larger pieces.
- Blend or process the larger pieces of seeds to a paste. Press through a sieve again to separate larger pieces. Continue this process until all the seeds are a smooth paste.
- Bring chicken broth to a boil and add in the 2 onion halves, 3 cloves of garlic, jalapeno, and a sprig of epazote. Simmer for 20 minutes to season broth. Strain the broth and discard herbs and vegetables.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Wrap tortillas in foil or a damp dish cloth and heat in oven until warm.
- In a hot pan add vegetable oil or lard and heat over medium heat. Add in tomatoes, 4 cloves of garlic, chopped onion, oregano, roasted serrano chiles and salt. Cook until the tomatoes release there juices forming a sauce.
- Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of water into the pumpkin seed paste.
Use your fingers to press the mixture until oil forms on the surface. Tilt the bowl and drain the oil into a separate smaller bowl.
Continue to squeeze out 2-3 tablespoons of oil.
- Mix the rest of the water into the seed mixture and warm over lowest heat, do not boil. If sauce becomes coagulated, re-blend with 2 tablespoons liquid until smooth.
- Dip warm tortillas into sauce with tongs, place on a warmed plate and place 2-3 tablespoons of chopped egg down the middle.
- Roll up like an enchilada and place seam side down in the dish. Repeat with three stuffed tortillas on each plate.
- Pour remaining sauce over the top. Then pour the tomato salsa over the middle of the tortillas and topping with a sprinkle of the chopped egg.
- Immediately before serving, drizzle green oil over the pumpkin seed sauce in little pools. The oil will re-absorb into the sauce, so do this at the absolute last minute before serving.
- Pour Chiltomate sauce over and serve.