J. White Harris
If you make the yogurt yourself the only cost is what you pay for the milk. Another good thing is that the yogurt you make will be much better than anything you can buy at the market.
How to Make Greek Yogurt
- You can buy regular yogurt at the market and turn that into Greek Style Yogurt. You might have noticed that the Greek Style Yogurt is much more expensive than the regular yogurt.
- Note: About every two weeks I take six quarts of whole milk and process that into 6 quarts of regular unflavored yogurt. There are several recipes on JAP that give directions on how to make yogurt.
- The regular yogurt is filtered to drain off the whey. After the whey is removed, what is left is Greek Style Yogurt.
I started out using the largest coffee filters I could find, some large funnels, and some empty mason jars.
1. Stick the funnel into an empty jar.
2. Put the coffee filter in the top of the funnel. You will need to fold it over to make it into a cone shape.
3. Put the plain yogurt into the coffee filter in the top of the funnel.
- Let it drain for 1 to 2 hours. You will see a yellow liquid in the jar, that's the "whey" that drains from the yogurt.
The thick yogurt that is left in the funnel is Greek Style Yogurt.
- You can also use several layers of cheese cloth to filter the yogurt.
I now use very small mesh nylon bags to filter the yogurt.