Creamy Genovese homemade pesto sauce
Ramona's Cuisine -
- Sicilian pine nuts are one of the best if you could find as well as Californian - if you do not have those pine nuts that are also quite pricey, try any other nuts such as walnuts, macadamia, almond.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
·100 g fresh basil leaves and stalks
·35 g pine nuts
·40 g parmigiano reggiano cheese freshly grated
·35 g grana pandano freshly grated
·1 tbsp sea salt or pink himalayan
·3 tbsp olive oil good quality extra virgin
·2 cloves garlic
·1/2 lemon juice
How to Make Creamy Genovese homemade pesto sauce
- Wash thoroughly the basil leaves using only very cold water.
- Add the basil leaves and stalks to the mortar - use half if your mortar is smaller. Very gently, pretty carefully and quite slowly, crush the basil leaves for 3 minutes (1 min if using a food processor).
- Once the leaves are crushed, add the slightly crushed and chopped garlic, the pine nuts (or other nuts if you decide using different ones), salt, and the cheeses. Crush these using circular movements or whizz for another minute or so until it becomes a smooth creamy paste.
- While pounding using a light circular movement of the pestle or while whizzing add the olive oil which should be a good quality Extra Virgin Olive one.
- The source is now ready to use so enjoy it.