Awesome Shrimp, Spinach and Artichoke Dip
1 qthalf and half
4 ozwhite wine (i prefer something deep and oaky)
1 can(s)artichoke hearts, canned 14oz
1 1/4 lbraw shrimp, p&d 61-70 count
1/2 tspcayenne pepper
1/2 tspsea salt
1/2 tspblack pepper (fresh ground or table grind)
8 ozspinach, julienne cut
2-3 pkgfrench bread loaves
1 lbmozzarella cheese shredded
2 Tbspparmesan chees, grated
How to Make Awesome Shrimp, Spinach and Artichoke Dip
- I HIGHLY RECOMMEND DAY BEFORE PREP TO ALLOW FLAVORS TO ENHANCE!
- Prep shallots by peeling and chopping in food processor. Rinse and drain shrimp and artichokes and then rough cut by hand. (You want small pieces so every bite gets some.) Pull stems & Julienne cut spinach, cover and put in refrigerator.
- In a medium stock pot, combine half & half and wine and bring to a SLOW boil over a medium flame stirring frequently. Just before boiling, start the next step.
- In a large high side rondo or skillet sauté butter and shallots until translucent.
- Add the flour to the butter/shallot mixture mixing until all the flour is absorbed by the butter and cook for 2-3 minutes stirring constantly.
- Add the heated half and half mixture once boiling, all at once, to the shallot mix, stirring constantly with a wire whip making sure there is no lumps.
- Continue stirring while bringing the mixture back to a slow boil and cook for three minutes stirring constantly.
- Add the shrimp, artichokes, sea salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper and bring to a boil. Cook for an additional 3 minutes until shrimp are thoroughly cooked stirring constantly so the mixture doesn’t scorch.
- Remove from heat and transfer to either one large shallow pan (2” deep) or two smaller shallow pans and let cool to room temp stirring occasionally to release the heat.
- Cover and store in refrigerator overnight.
- Once cooled and before baking, fold in spinach. Top with mozzarella and parmesan cheese and a couple of dashes of paprika for color and bake at 375 degrees until bubbling and cheese has browned a little. (You may need to put under the broiler for a few seconds once mix bubbles if cheese isn’t browned)
- Serve with bias cut French bread that has been drizzled with olive oil & toasted in 375 degree oven. Or crackers work too in a pinch, but I prefer hot bread.